Supporting Children of Key Workers in Primary School
The Minister for Education in Northern Ireland, Peter Weir MLA, made a statement outlining how schools will be closed from Monday 23rd March except for the children of ‘Key Workers’ who require ongoing childcare support in order to fulfil their role. Many questions still remain following the statement from the Minister, but we expect clarification on the key issues in the coming days.
At Moyallon Primary School we want to ensure that we can provide the necessary childcare support to our Key Worker parents from Monday 23rd March. In order to facilitate this, we are asking that all Key Worker parents, who require childcare support from the school, complete the request form by clicking on the link provided below. It is vitally important that the school is aware of how many Key Workers’ children will be attending on Monday morning to ensure that staffing levels are sufficient to meet demand.
We urge you to be mindful that schools have been closed to keep the number of pupils in attendance to an absolute minimum. Before completing the form, please pay particular attention to the following points. The school will not be able to operate a ‘normal’ school day. Like many other schools, we expect to be operating with a reduction in staffing particularly due to isolation requirements.
Points to consider
- A broad list of key workers, issued by the Department of Education, can be found below. Children with at least one parent working as a Key Worker can avail of a childcare place.
- If possible, alternative childcare arrangements must be sought before deciding to send your child to school. For example, with other family members, friends etc. Please try and use schools as a last resort. This is to try and limit the number of children and adults together indoors in line with recent social distancing guidance.
- The school’s normal opening and closing time will apply 8:30am – 1:45pm / 8:30am – 2:45pm
- Children attending will be required to wear their school uniform. Please be advised that school will be performing childcare duties, rather than teaching, as not all teachers are currently available to teach specific year groups and some will be continuing to work on our Home Learning program.
We would ask that you pay attention to the points outlined above before deciding to send your child to school. It goes without saying, if your only option is to send your child to school, we will look after them in order to support you in your important role.
The provision of childcare places for Monday 23rd March is a rapidly developing situation. Please Keep up to date with developments on our LATEST NEWS and HOME LEARNING pages on our school website
LIST OF KEY WORKERS AS OUTLINED ON DOCUMENTATION ISSUED TO SCHOOLS ON 19TH MARCH 2020
- Health and Social Care: This includes doctors, nurses, midwives, paramedics, social workers, home carers and staff required to maintain our health and social care sector
- Education and childcare: This includes nursery and teaching staff, social workers and those specialist education professionals who will remain active during the Covid-19 response
- Public safety and national security: This includes civilians and officers in the police (including key contractors), Fire and Rescue Service, prison service and other national security roles
- Transport: This will include those keeping air, water, road and rail transport modes operating during the Covid-19 response
- Utilities and Communication: This includes staff needed for oil, gas, electricity and water (including sewage) and primary industry supplies, to continue during the Covid-19 response, as well as key staff in telecommunications, post and delivery, services and waste disposal
- Food and other necessary goods: This includes those involved in food production, processing, distribution and sale, as well as those essential to the provision of other key goods (e.g hygiene, medical etc)
- Key national and local government: This includes those administrative occupations essential to the effective delivery of the Covid-19 response.
Childcare Request Form
(Open until Saturday 30th May, 9pm)
***Please note that childcare will be available on
TUES, WED and THURS only***
If you have an urgent request please email Mr Davidson on: